Plaster Board Walk in wardrobe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I have a walk in wardrobe which I believe has walls made from Plaster board. What I wish to do is cut the plaster board to create a bigger opening to fit ready built wardrobes into the opening. How easy is it to cut the plaster board? can a normal saw be used or a circular saw??? PS the Cut away plaster board wall is not load bearing, it has been created to make the wardrobe and believe it is 4" thick! Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Firstly check for pipes or cables etc in areas you want to remove ,
plasterboard is very easy to cut with cheap wood saw, pad saw or score several times with stanley knife, would not use circ saw as very very messy.
(pipes cables etc safety first)

if you are 100% shure its not load bearing
and if it is an opening that is already there , a wooden frame will surround the opening
[construction sounds like 3" by 2" timber with 12mm plasterboared]
the studs are likley to be around every 16"

now its not a case of just cutting the opening wider as you need to finnish the edge with new timber and reconect the old timbers

the best bet is to remove the plasterboard back to the centre off the next bit of wood beyond the opening cut the opening to size plus the new framework size [2x2" for the studs and any thickness of finnish in the opening plus an inch of clearence]
attach new timber to form new opening and finnish with plasterboared and in the same fashion as before [with achatraves or whatever]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back