plaster board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible if the bathroom is being tiled to not plaster the walls and just tile straight onto plaster board ? Thank you

Sponsored Links
Yes no problem at all , but don't put plaster/board in your shower area ;)

I'd never tile straight on to plasterboards, when you decide to, or she who must be obeyed does :mad: . To remove the tiles and revamp the not so old bathroom :mad: .
You'll find when you remove the tiles it rips the boards to bits.
If I do board in the bathroom, I fix hardboard to the plasterboard in the tiled area.
or skim over.

I am the she who must be obeyed !! :LOL:

I have to board 3 walls in the bathroom as they have had to be battened and insulated for BCO but the wall that the shower goes on has been rebuilt so is a cavity wall and is just thermolite i think (grey anyway ) Thanks both

edited to say i wonder could i attach ply to the battens and plaster onto that ???

Sponsored Links
I'd never tile straight on to plasterboards, when you decide to, or she who must be obeyed does :mad: . To remove the tiles and revamp the not so old bathroom :mad: .
You'll find when you remove the tiles it rips the boards to bits.
If I do board in the bathroom, I fix hardboard to the plasterboard in the tiled area.
or skim over.
I have never removed tiles off walls in my own house and if I wanted new ones I would just tile over the old ones.. ;)

I have to board 3 walls in the bathroom as they have had to be battened and insulated for BCO but the wall that the shower goes on has been rebuilt so is a cavity wall and is just thermolite i think (grey anyway ) Thanks both

edited to say i wonder could i attach ply to the battens and plaster onto that ???

No you can't plaster on to ply-wood...If you are going to tile over ply in your shower area make sure you put a couple of coats of acrylic primer on it first. ;)

No you can't plaster on to ply-wood...If you are going to tile over ply in your shower area make sure you put a couple of coats of acrylic primer on it first. ;)

sorry i meant tile onto plyboard has been a long day :oops:

I have never removed tiles off walls in my own house and if I wanted new ones I would just tile over the old ones.. ;)

Doesn't your bathroom just get smaller and smaller ??? :D

Its small already charly but i've put mirrors on two walls to make it look bigger (the bathroom that is :oops:) :LOL:

faint_smilie.gif

Oh Roy how could you :cry:

Only ever use Moisture Resistant plaster board in bath/shower rooms but never in wet areas; you can tile straight onto it but, as stated, you will never get them off again. Don't use plywood in a wet area, it’s not stable when wet & your tiles will probably end up on the floor unless it’s tanked.

Tile backer boards is what you need inside the shower.

Oh Roy how could you :cry:

Only ever use Moisture Resistant plaster board in bath/shower rooms but never in wet areas; you can tile straight onto it but, as stated, you will never get them off again. Don't use plywood in a wet area, it’s not stable when wet & your tiles will probably end up on the floor unless it’s tanked.

Tile backer boards is what you need inside the shower.

Hi Rich I only said I would, but I never have ;) As for the ply on the shower walls I have been putting half inch WPB ply on shower walls for years and putting an acrylic primer on it before I have tiled. Years ago there was never any of these fancy products that you could put on shower walls. And most of new build house's had p/board on the walls in showers unless WPB ply was specified. So I must admit I am abit "old school" and have got ply in my own shower and the wall covered with large floor tiles, and i've had no probs with it.But I must admit its only been up for 12 years :LOL: ;)

So I must admit I am abit "old school" and have got ply in my own shower and the wall covered with large floor tiles, and i've had no probs with it.But I must admit its only been up for 12 years :LOL: ;)
Must be down to the skill & attention to detail of the person did it :LOL: ;) . The old methods will still work for those prepared to put in the time & effort, it’s just that modern materials are such a lot easier & quicker to use & are far more tolerant to lack of attention to detail or even outright mistakes. I’ve only been at it for a relatively short number of years yet even I’ve attracted criticism for some of my tried & trusted methods being old fashioned :eek: you never stop learning ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back