plaster board

Has anyone done that thing where you put lines in the plaster on the beams to make it look like beams mine had to be studded out you see and boarded around . If so do you have any pics so i can show a plasterer when i find one thanks

Sponsored Links
Know what you mean but no, not tried it with plaster; I think it’s going to be largely down to trial & error what it ends up looking like.

A really brilliant method I learned for faking old beams (if that’s what your after) some 25 years ago is to take some cheap old pine timber (solid or strips to clad beams with), burn the ***k out of it with a blow lamp until the surface turns to charcoal, let it cool down, then wire brush it (with the grain) & then stain it down (Sadolin matt) to your personal colour choice. It’s the most effective way I’ve come across for making cheap pine beams look the like they’ve been there for 200 years or more; but of course it won’t fool everyone. This sort of thing is not generally in fashion now but its personal choice & can be useful if you have a period property. ;)

Had a plasterer round today to price up the job . says my door casings will have to come out as they are too big for the plaster board and that if the thistle is more than 3mill it will crack ??? Nothing is ever completely straight forward in rennovating a house is it ? :rolleyes:

Errm :confused: , despite reading your thread from the start 3 times, I seem to have lost the plot rather but it's probably me! Sorry but can we rewind & start again; exactly what you are trying to achieve & what was your plasterer advising you & quoting for? With regard the 3mm bit, he’s technically right but it, ermm, rhymes with rowlocks :LOL: !

Sponsored Links
Errm :confused: , despite reading your thread from the start 3 times, I seem to have lost the plot rather but it's probably me! Sorry but can we rewind & start again; exactly what you are trying to achieve & what was your plasterer advising you & quoting for? With regard the 3mm bit, he’s technically right but it, ermm, rhymes with rowlocks :LOL: !

Thanks for you input Richard Don't forget i aint a proffesional here i am just posting to ask advice :D

Firstly the plumber told me to not bother plastering the boards just tile so i posted to ask if this was possible and was advised not to as if i decided in the future to retile my boards would rip off too ...sorted

Then rather than start another thread I asked if anyone had ever done a plastering effect that makes the boxed in beams look like wood so i could explain how to do it to my plasterer.

Then i just updated saying i had had a quote yesterday and the plasterer had noticed that the casings were too far out for 3 mill of plaster . was just rolling my eyes really saying how nothing is simple . Didn't realise this forum wasn't like others where you update ...

Sorry if i wasted your time :LOL:

Had a plasterer round today to price up the job . says my door casings will have to come out as they are too big for the plaster board and that if the thistle is more than 3mill it will crack ??? Nothing is ever completely straight forward in rennovating a house is it ? :rolleyes:

bonding coat 1st to bring it out then! dont see the problem, your plasterer should have suggested this anyway.

You haven’t wasted my time, it’s just that I can’t fathom exactly what the problem is; it's just me being a bit thick :confused: .
plasterer says my door casings will have to come out as they are too big for the plaster

I can see now that this probably has nothing to do with the decorative beam thing; still not entirely sure I’ve got it but is he saying that the door casing sticks out more than 3mm from the wall so he can’t plaster it :?: If that’s all it is then Alistairreid has the answer &, like him, I don’t really see why your plasterer has a problem working out how to do it.

I am female tis my prerogative to waffle :p

Thanks for input am learning fast that builders types always like to point out at least one fault with another mans work to fill me with more worry and stress :LOL:

Or maybe they are just giving you a line & trying to chat you up ;) :LOL:

I am female tis my prerogative to waffle :p

Thanks for input am learning fast that builders types always like to point out at least one fault with another mans work to fill me with more worry and stress :LOL:

Nope never! wouldnt do that no sireee :cool: :LOL: :LOL:

bonding coat 1st to bring it out then! dont see the problem, your plasterer should have suggested this anyway.

This is what he has done looks great 3 rooms done so far :LOL:
Thank you

its good when a plan comes together charly :D . glad its all well with you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back