Plaster changes colour daily, is there still a leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, The bathroom in the flat above us leaked around the bath sealant about a year ago and it ran down the wall at the bottom end of their bath, continuing down to our non-brick internal wall below which showed damp on both sides and to the plaster on both sides at the time.

The sealant was re-done, but I often wonder if a small amount of water still leaks if there are any tiny cracks. Originally we never noticed tiny amounts leaking until it got worse to the point of water dripping.

This week I peeled back a large corner of our wallpaper to look at the plaster and let it dry and wiped a little bit of mould with bleach. Down the corner it was white coloured and the rest was light brown but the plaster didn't feel obviously wet, (although I don't know about what's behind it). The next day the brown had turned white which I assumed was drying out or the bleach. But that evening half had gone brown again, and the orginally brown areas keeps changing daily between white and brown. Why is this? Is it an indication that each time they have a shower there is perhaps still a slight leak which then dries out a bit?

Thanks in advance for replies

Sponsored Links
Could be! or it could be condensation from your own shower.

Ref what alastair says: do you have a good extractor in your bathroom?

Perhaps you might approach your neighbour and explain your concern.

Maybe you could both examine the bath sealing and remove the bath panel and look below with a torch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back