Bathroom plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on replacing our bathtub panel because it's sagging (prev owner trimmed one side, it's become weak and pops out). But there's a bit of plaster missing from the wall, which is something I want to correct.

IMG_9518_zpsvsusrba9.jpg

When the curved bath panel is in place, there's a few centimetres of missing plaster. I plan to fit a flat bath panel which will be flush with the edge of the bathtub, which will show more of the missing plaster. I intend to plaster up the the edge of the skirting, paint the plaster, fit the bath panel and use some silicone sealant to make sure water doesn't leak under the bath.

Questions:

1. Do I need to prep the surfaces? eg rubbing down, sealing with PVA etc?
2. Can I use any ready-mix plaster or do I need a special kind? Could I use something like this >clicky<
3. Similar question with paint - can I use something like Dulux bathroom paint?
4. Anything else I should look out for?

Would be grateful for any advice.

Sponsored Links
You will need to prep the walls, the area to be plastered will require two coats of PVA. Let the first coat dry completely and the second coat go tacky, before applying plaster.
Also sand down the painted edge(50mm aprox) of the existing plaster, as you will need to blend in old to new, that area will also need priming. I would suggest not using ready mix but multi-finish or thistle finish the latter comes in smaller bags.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back