Wall drying out

M

marsaday

How long does it take a new constructed brick wall and then browning and finish coat to dry out ?

I built this wall over 5 weeks ago and plastered it at the time and it is dry on the side which gets a lot of sun light, but on the other side it is still showing damp patches. Some of the bricks were left outside in the rain and came from the wall i took down.

I am at the decorating stage and want to get it all painted, but a lot of salt effervescence is coming out of the plaster.

The wall is not pulling up any moisture as i used a damp membrane and it is showing it is dry at the bottom. Just these damp patches. i will load a photo.

Sponsored Links
Looks like salts from the bricks ,if there is no other damp.

No answer to how long it will take as the salts keep tracking through. It should have been dry after two weeks easily.

For me, looking at the colour and contamination, I would take it off, seal the bricks and redo but not with browning ( terrible stuff).

You may choose to wait before resorting to that but I don't think anyone can predict a timeframe .

Hopefully someone else has a more positive solution, dehumidifier perhaps?

Well i havent run the heating yet and may do that for a bit when working there.

I am happy to leave it to dry out for the next few months as the person will understand if that is the easiest option.

Sponsored Links
I'm with Micilin,, it looks dog and wont get any better that's for sure. As Mic' said, it should dry out in a couple of weeks max and you can see that the majority has, but i can't see that area getting any getter, only worse with the salts etc.
I'd definitely take it off, and then scratch coat the wall with a 4 to 1 sand/cement mix with waterproofer added, then leave it to dry out/ cure for a week or so and see what happens. What is the other side of the wall like?

The other side of the wall is perfect and pink.

I am not a plasterer and dont do this for a living, but have renovated this property which i rent out. So the new tenant will not mind if the area is unpainted for a good while, but i would hope the salts do come out eventually.

I will see how i get on, but from what you are saying it will never dry out and this problem will always be there. Is that correct ?

I think so. The lads know what they are talking about and I think we can all see that there is a problem with the wall being damp !! I think this problem stems from something not being done right at the start...

Can you tell me what has been done wrong then as i am still not sure what has gone wrong.

The wall came down and i rebuilt this section. The bricks were left outside until i rebuilt them.

The wall was built and then plastered about 10 days later. I didnt treat the wall with anything. Should i have done ?

All i did was add the browning coat and then the final coat on the same day.

I thought all this was pretty std stuff. Should the bricks have been treated in any special way ? Could my mortar mix be too strong ?

I would think that the problem is with the Browning it will not give you any barrier between what ever is in the bricks and if the bricks have been left outside and they have picked up salts from rain or dog or cat pi@@ or anything else it will come thru the browning I would do what rc recommends. Browning is alright on an internal thermalite wall when it is built on a good dpc.

If you notice some brick buildings have salts coming thru, that's probably what you have ,after leaving them in the rain?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back