Brick tiles short-term solution to damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick back-story - I own a Victorian house that has, no surprises, some damp issues. We think we found the external causes which have been rectified, stripped back internal plaster where it was blown, left to dry out for a few weeks then re-plastered and painted. Within a week we've had damp patches starting to show again (hasn't rained much during this period) suggesting to me either we didn't leave it long enough to dry out or there still may be further causes. Either way, I'm due to rent the house out in 5 weeks time for about 9 months, so don't have time to play the waiting game while the walls dry, or do any further major repairs outside (we've already done a lot, and there's no other obvious things we can do short of completely re-rendering two outdoor walls) so need a simple medium term solution...

I wanted to get some more experienced opinions on a slightly left field idea... I think the bricks probably need to dry out more but it needs to be presentable for renting - I'm thinking about stripping all the damp walls back to brick, and putting up brick wall tiles - I'm thinking as there's no plaster, no paint, the whole wall should be breathable allowing everything to dry out over the next few months, and I won't have tenants complaining because it looks fine and there shouldn't be any damp patches.

...thoughts?

Sponsored Links
How did you plaster?

Directly on the bricks with gypsum or lime?

Most of the internal walls are fine and was plastered I believe with gypsum several years ago, we only removed and repaired all the blown areas, filled any deeper holes and skimmed.

Hello Bain85,

Which room/s are the damp patches appearing on the wall? Is it an internal or exterior wall? . . . Probably wouldn't hurt to post up a few pictures.

Sponsored Links
Thanks big Wayne, I'll try and get some pics up later. It's on the ground floor at the rear on both the party wall and the wall with the window facing the outside. Its mostly about half way up and in the top corner of those adjoining walls. Outside we found a gap in the stone parapet slabs between our wall and the neighbours where rainwater was clearly getting in, right where the corner is for the ground floor - that's been fixed. Dave

Hi guys, here's some pictures for context. The walls that have white patches I think will be ok, but the wall with the missing paint patches just peels if we try to repaint it. As I said, we've done the exterior work to rectify but the walls don't seem to be dry yet... Not sure what the best option is for the next few months while the house is rented...

Attachments

• IMG_20161223_134937.jpg
    IMG_20161223_134937.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20161223_134945.jpg
    IMG_20161223_134945.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20161223_135007.jpg
    IMG_20161223_135007.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20161223_134956.jpg
    IMG_20161223_134956.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 147
Out of interest, coming back to my original suggestion r.e. brick wall tiles - can you get breathable wall tile adhesive?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back