Plaster cracked on every joint on ceiling!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im just doing up the bedroom on a house we've just bought. After taking off the paper on the ceiling every single joint in the ceiling plasterboard has a hairline crack! House built in the late 50's. On closer inspection the PB was only tacked on with nails and has hessien scrim tape so i assume its the original ceiling. Idealy i dont want to overboard the ceiling as i know i will end up doing the same in every room through the house.

Is there any way of fixing it like scraping a V out the joins then filling or is it really a waste of time on a ceiling that old? I was thinking of doing the above and then finding the joists and screwing every 400mm.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Sponsored Links
take it your going to skim the ceiling.
tap in all nail heads to just dimple, dont break the board paper. after checking for cables behind the boardthen screw up all joins an edgeswith matched screws.
then tape and 50/50 pva twice and skim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back