Plaster finish on brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have pulled off old plaster from a wall where the plaster had blown. There is just bare bricks at the moment. Thinking of using adhesive to glue plasterboard to the walls and use tape etc to fix the joints. Would then put several coats of paint on the boards to achieve a smooth finish. Any other suggestions or am i on the right track??? Some suggests screwing them to the brickwork.... take it you drill through the board into the bricks and then plug and screw them in???? after a cheap solution cos the house is getting sold on asap...

Sponsored Links
When you say bricks, do you mean bricks as in bricks, or do you mean blocks?

I don't think fixing plasterboard directly to brickwork would be a good idea. I believe the usual process is to put a thick layer of sand/cement over the bare wall, then plaster over that (That is what my block walls appear to be)

The alternative is to dryline it. Use plugs and screws to fix wooden battens (2" by 1", sawn or planed timber) to the wall. Then put polystyrene insulating tiles in the gaps. Cover the whole wall in vapour barrier (a type of plastic sheeting) by stapling it to the battens. Then you can fix your plasterboards to the battens and joint them. I am not certain if you must have the membrane and polystyrene, after all the battens would get damp either way.

after a cheap solution cos the house is getting sold on asap

Nice to see someone taking pride in their DIY

AdamW said:
I don't think fixing plasterboard directly to brickwork would be a good idea. I believe the usual process is to put a thick layer of sand/cement over the bare wall, then plaster over that (That is what my block walls appear to be)
after a cheap solution cos the house is getting sold on asap

Nice to see someone taking pride in their DIY

I've used this method for fixing plasterboard many times in the past and have had no problems at all.

I myself have used it in my bathroom, but it was onto old plaster not directly onto brick.

So it is OK directly onto brick?

Sponsored Links
so what would be the easiest way to bond it to the walls? adhesive or screws??

Hello snapper ,Right onto the wall with your plasterboards sounds good to me. Brush all the loose ****e off first,buy some dry lineing addesive about 5 quid a bag this will stick about 3 8 by 4 plasterboards to the wall. Just stick your addesive in a bucket with a bit of water give it a good stir,now your ready 4 action, put blobs of addesive all around the perrimeter of the board,then a few in the middle.Get a nice straight piece of wood 6 foot long lean this on top of your board and existing plaster if any, and it with a hammer till flat this way and that :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back