What to do with bouncy lath & plaster wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lath and plaster walls are in my

1. Living room
2. Bedroom
3. Stairs/landing

In a few spots the plaster has blown and wall is bouncy. The wall has wall paper and I'd like a smooth finish

Should i just overboard with regular plasterboard or is it best to remove the lath and plaster, then fit plasterboard to the studs?

Is insulation in all three areas above necessary also?

Sponsored Links
I’d overboard it. Insulation depends if they’re external walls/internal partition
They are internal partitions.. However one end of the partition touches the external wall

I am assuming that if they are internal partitions, then no insulation is necessary?

The external walls are of solid construction/with lime mortar

depends how much mess you can handle.
I can handle it :D

Its a total house renovation, so there is plenty of dust and dirt already

Sponsored Links
They are internal partitions.. However one end of the partition touches the external wall

I am assuming that if they are internal partitions, then no insulation is necessary?

The external walls are of solid construction/with lime mortar

I can handle it :D

Its a total house renovation, so there is plenty of dust and dirt already
in that case you’d be daft to overboard. i’d take it back to the timbers and soundproof and board.

If you have nice cornice or skirting boards simply overboarding won't work. It is possibe to solidify individual areas of damaged lath and plater internal walls with expanding foam - not too much though or it will push the wall out. You can also cut out 'bouncy' sections and just 'board that area. You'll need a good plasterer to skim l&p walls after old paper is removed - some 'plasterers' can only skim plasterboard.

If you have nice cornice or skirting boards simply overboarding won't work. It is possibe to solidify individual areas of damaged lath and plater internal walls with expanding foam - not too much though or it will push the wall out. You can also cut out 'bouncy' sections and just 'board that area. You'll need a good plasterer to skim l&p walls after old paper is removed - some 'plasterers' can only skim plasterboard.
agreed , maybe there is room for experimentation with alternative methods and practices. let us know how you get on!

Last edited by a moderator:
eh? at least try spelling your rather poor attempt at an insult correctly
My original reply was uncalled for, wholly unnecessary ,and I have revised it.
please accept my apologies.

Looks like i missed a bit of drama :D

in that case you’d be daft to overboard. i’d take it back to the timbers and soundproof and board.
Can i ask why you lean towards strip off existing lath and plaster then sound proof and board? I'm curious on the rationale?

Thanks for the comment

why you lean towards strip off existing lath and plaster
because you have a load of mess anyway.
chances are its bowed outwards with the fact it’s blown.
you can strengthen up the existing timber frame.
it’ll be easier to get the correct finish around the door frame.
sound proofing room -room , always a bonus . in our house anyway.
easier to run new cabling or pipework that may be required, you did say it’s a complete renovation.
i’d be more interested at the rationale of trying to justify keeping lath and plaster in a ‘renovation’.

because you have a load of mess anyway.
chances are its bowed outwards with the fact it’s blown.
you can strengthen up the existing timber frame.
it’ll be easier to get the correct finish around the door frame.
sound proofing room -room , always a bonus . in our house anyway.
easier to run new cabling or pipework that may be required, you did say it’s a complete renovation.
i’d be more interested at the rationale of trying to justify keeping lath and plaster in a ‘renovation’.

Cheers benny

I was just curious on the reasons for removal. Not trying to justify keeping it

However, now that you mentioned it :D

One could justify keeping L&P on some of the following grounds

I) Saves time
II) Economic benefit - Cheaper to keep it
III) Environmental benefit - Less waste/dust etc
IV) Removal could pose a health risk

1. not really as you have to faff about finding timbers to screw to or mix adhesive to bond with.
2. not really . itll cost you more or as much to repair it . 2 plasterboards per wall £12.
3.not really. when the materials are stripped back you can take the laths and nails to the RECYCLING centre and bury the dust in the garden or under the suspended floors downstairs.
4. not really.You said it was dusty to start with being a complete refurb. wear a mask.
not that i’m argumentative or anything:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back