plaster has come off wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK.... Ive had a lot of good info from this site in the past. Now its down to the bathroom! arghh!
The old tiles have come off..... the adhesive has come off...... and a lot of the plaster has come off too! cement render scratch coat looks very nice, but the wife is adamant on the tiles.

Do the walls need plastering before tiling?? or with the use of a good bonding agent, can i tile directly onto the render?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
yes you can. You'll need an acrylic bonding agent and the correct adhesive. Post the size\type of your tiles and we can give you some info on the correct adhesive to use

they are ceramic tiles. 300mm x 250mm. I have to do half way up the wa around 2/3rds of the bathroom, then above the bath is a mixer shower, so will be tiling above bath up to ceiling.

Thanks in advance.... am concerned about the cost of aquapanels etc.

so are you thinking of just plastering the bits you dont tile? might be little difference between that and just fully tiling.

For a tile that size a ready mixed addy will be fine. use a good quality one such as granfix supergrip, bal or other trade manufacturers. stay away from diy shed stuff.

Sponsored Links
ok... call me a dumbass, but what is the acrylic bonding agent that you would recommend???
The plaster where the tiles weren't is ok so far.....but as with anything in this house (moneypit) it could go aglay!!!

no problem at all! i'd point you towards grafix acrylic bonding (cos thats what i sell and know) but really use the same brand as the adhesive you buy if possible.

and this will be ok for tiling above the bath as well??? even with the mixer shower there?

depends which one you use, but yes as long as you use a good brand suitable for use in showers.

Tanking\waterproofing etc is only needed if the substrate gets damaged by water ingress - thats why backer boards are used. in the case of cement render theres no need

excellent... thanks for the advice. the only problem is that every merchants I go to try to get me to buy PVA....... GRR why dont they listen. It might not be in the rules within the rules, but is it ok to PM you to get some prices?

yes of course, theres a link to my website in my profile. Delivery can get a bit expensive if its just adhesive though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back