Plaster internal wall; materials to use? please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have been reading posts for days now to try to get all the information I need but would like to ask a question, PLEASE HELP. I have a warner flat (1894) and some of the walls sounded hollow. I have taken it down to the red brick and now need to replaster. After reading your posts I think the best option is:
Unibond
sand and cement scratch coat (4:1) with waterproofer.
and then you normally write UNDERCOAT, what is that?? Is that what you also mean by bonding or browning?
What should the last layer be, that grey ready made plaster? Or another coat of what what is used as undercoat?

I have read the techniques and watched videos, I would be really grateful if you could please tell me what to use as an undercoat

Any help is much appreciated, it will be my first wall.

Thanks

mneto

Sponsored Links
Undercoat plaster could be Hardwall, Bonding or Browning. You could use any one of them really, but Hardwall or Browning would be the most suitable. Hardwall is not readily available around here, so i use browning or bonding coat. Cement render can also used as a backing/float coat for finishing plaster.

Mneto has double posted , have a look in “Deco” ;) having replied to the other post in “Deco” I've only just spotted it myself :rolleyes:

Roughcaster and Richard C, you are absolute legends! I feel priviledged to have received help from you.

I posted to questions about to slightly different queries, Thanks for replying.

Roughcaster to clarify, is it:
sand and cement
browning
finishing plaster

or

sand and cement
finishing plaster

Also could you please tell me the thickness of each, I take it that the sand and cement rendering has to be thicker?

I really appreciate your help, I know it will be difficult but I have no choice but to have a go.

Thanks,
mneto

Sponsored Links
Roughcaster and Richard C, you are absolute legends! I feel priviledged to have received help from you.

I posted to questions about to slightly different queries, Thanks for replying.

Roughcaster to clarify, is it:
sand and cement
browning
finishing plaster

or

sand and cement
finishing plaster

Also could you please tell me the thickness of each, I take it that the sand and cement rendering has to be thicker?

I really appreciate your help, I know it will be difficult but I have no choice but to have a go.

Thanks,
mneto

Either method you mentioned is not easy. Start with a small-ish wall, then as you get more confident, try going for a larger area.
If you're just starting to learn plastering, i'd go for the method below.

Sand and cement. (scratch coat) 4 to 1 mix, with waterproofer/plasticiser.
Browning "or" Hardwall. (both are undercoat plasters)
Multi finish. (finishing plaster)

The other method is rendering the wall first,, then putting on the multi finish,, as i said, either way, it's not an easy job to do, especially without having practised on a wall first. Good luck anyway Mneto. ;)

You are going for the Rolls Royce finish here, and I like that attitude, however, if you have never done anything like this before you could be dissapointed with your results. Take you time and read up alot on here, there is a wealth of knowledge and the experienced chaps here will gladly point you in the right direction on any specific questions you have.

The only advice I can give you is to follow roughcasters advice, I find skimming on render hard, but I find applying bonding to render a nice job to do and skimming on bonding is also nice, although not as nice as plasterboard where everything seems to set evenly.

Good luck, take some pictures and share them :)

thanks Roughcaster and 1John,

I'll have a go on a small section today and will post pics.

mneto

thanks Roughcaster and 1John,

I'll have a go on a small section today and will post pics.

mneto

Well done for having a go, and look forward to seeing the pics Mneto. We've all had to start from the beginning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back