Plaster is coming in Monday...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

As the title suggests I was wondering what I need to do to ensure that the chap has a clean run at the job on Monday...

I have removed architrave and skirting.
I have placed the electric faceplates in plastic bags and taped them up

He did the ceilings a few months ago and they are still unpainted.

The walls have been stripped of wall paper and then lightly sanded to remove the glue.

There are a few holes 2ft sq of blown plaster which are back to the brick.
Also two sections of exposed brickwork on the lower portion of the chimney breasts. (Where the plaster fell off when taking out the fireplace / mantlepiece).

So what else can I do I need to do so he is not held up?

Sponsored Links
Cover your radiator tails in cling film, window sills covered

cling film the wires also.

Mark how high your skirting is so he can skim below it.

get a load of card for him to mix up outside. and cover the walk through between the outside.

clean the boxes out soon as he finishes also.

A

Great reply - thanks. A further question...

The existing skirting was about 9" high in pine. The old plaster was sitting on that, meaning did not go below it. The new skirting has yet to be selected but I expect will be smaller than that, perhaps about 7 or even 5" in size.

There is a small lip where the old plaster came down onto the skirting and I "guess??" I need to knock that off so there is a clean line down behind the new skirting?

Is there anything stopping him plastering right down to within a couple of inches of the floor?

What should I mark with - chalk line I guess?

Yes knock the lip off.

Nothing stopping him plastering to the floor, see one bloke who put skim beads 0.5 inch off the floor, and then the plasterer skimmed down to that leaving a shadow gap.

Just make sure there are no nails left over from the skirting, dont want to catch the trowel.

Much easier to fix skirting if the wall behind is relatively flat.

makes sure there is no carp on the floor for him to kick up in your nice new plaster.

Sponsored Links
Oops - I just remembered that one room is not having the skirting removed - it's painted wood.

Is there something "special" I should for that?

I am assuming I can just wipe or sand off any residue - after the wall has been skimmed?

Scrape off all the old caulk, and use a wet paint brush to get the excess off.

surely the most important thing to be prepared for when any tradesperson arrives is that the kettle is on, and that it is reguarly tested throughout the day to ensure it can still make a nice cuppa.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back