Plaster on brick - small area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm in the process of updating my fireplace and have removed an old surround. Will be installing a sleeper style mantle to replace it.

I have two runs of exposed brick that will need plastering over - see picture. I just want to plaster the facing wall - the inside walls will remain exposed brick.

I'm a completely novice when it comes to plastering so would like some advice on how best to proceed. Given the limited surface area I reckon I can do this one myself - although happy to be corrected.

Just no idea how to go about it. So do I need to first paint the exposed brick? If so what with? Do I then just plaster straight on top? What is the best plaster for this? What's good for a beginner to use. Do I need any special trowels or would a simple scraper be ok given the small area?

Finally how do I ensure the inside finish is straight - is it just a case of running over it with the knife a few times and sanding down?

Any advice / tips appreciated

Thanks

Attachments

• 20230512_085713.jpg
    20230512_085713.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
Just been searching around looking at other threads - apologies should have done this first.

Here's what I've put together - does this sound ok...

1. PVA the exposed brick: dilute 1 PVA to 3 Water. Brush on. Will buy B&Q No Nonsense White PVA Adhesive 5L

2. Then use Gyproc EasiFill 60: good for beginners as sandable and easy to work with.

Thanks

Any tips for keeping the plastered end tidy next to the exposed brick?

I'm thinking of putting tape down the inside edge of the brick - then cut and peel off any overlapping plastering on the tape.

The actual plastered edge - I'm thinking give it 15mins then smooth. Then sand off once set.

Cheers

Not my area but.
Looking at bricks there is no cavity? Gypsum products will pull damp.
May need lime plaster, so something like limelite.
That will go straight on with no PVA which will block the moisture.
Depends If your going to have a fire. If you are then something that will take heat. Some use lime render..

Sponsored Links
There looks to be too much thickness to fill on the front faces without a base coat and the join between old and new is liable to keep crack without some prep.
Id have though it may be easier to cover with wood to meet the mantle if it will be out of line of direct heat from the stove.

Thanks for the comments. Yes there will be a fire - log burner, but the sides don't get that hot where they are.

Lostinthelight: it did have wood there on the original surround which I removed. I'm going for the floating sleeper effect so wood down each side wouldn't work.

I've ended up cutting some plasterboard out and dot/dabbing it in. That seems to have done the trick - see pic. I've filled the joints with no tape jointing compound.

Cheers

Attachments

• 20230514_101914.jpg
    20230514_101914.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 32

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back