Plaster or plasterboard??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,
Gutting our house at the moment and doing as much as we can ourselves. I've stripped off crumbling plaster stud walls and have reboarded those ready for a final skim etc but what should i do on the stripped external walls? Would i dot and dab and pop plasterboard up ready for skimming or with them being external walls, would they be plastered from bare brick etc??

New to plastering and will be getting someone in to final skim everything, just didn't know if the outer walls of the house needed to be done differently due to the cold etc.

Thanks all!
Mark :)

Sponsored Links
Does the property have a cavity, if so you can do either (board or plaster render), if not it could be wise to now introduce insulation and vapour check barrier.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. Our walls have a cavity. So its ok to just dot, dab n board using standard plasterboard??

:)
Yes the standard procedure these days would be to dot n dab the walls, it is not necessary to prime the walls prior to applying the boards to wall, but if the walls are are dry and dusty, would not harm it.

Thanks all. I assume by priming the walls first you mean pva to seal it all?? Walls are very dry and dusty but in great condition under the old plaster. Sorry for all the questions...i can turn my hand to most things once i ask questions and try things out. Trying to save cash where we can by me doing as much as i can myself. If we can get it where we only need to call someone in to skim over walls and ceilings then that'll be great! :)

If they are dusty then brush off what you can with a stiff broom.and some PVA watered down wI'll be very good for adhesion of the dry wall adhesive

I assume by priming the walls first you mean pva to seal it all?? Walls are very dry and dusty but in great condition under the old plaster.
Yes when you dot n dab, you do not want to be applying the adhesive to dusty dry walls. Any loose and dusty surfaces require removing. When apllying the adhesive you can just damp the wall down to prevent suction from the adhesive mix or alternatively prime with either a dilute PVA solution (75% water) or a manufactured primer (the latter will be move expensive). You do not need to prime, as drywall adhesive is designed not to require it, but dusty dry walls will suck the moisture out of the mix, so this is best prevented to get good adhesion.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back