plaster, paint and paper - a couple of questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed some horrible tiled wallpaper from our kitchen (not our choice). The surface underneath appears to have been painted with some form of emulsion/paint effect. Thankfully as the paper has been removed it has lifted most of the paint effect with it leaving me with nicely plastered walls. I am presuming the walls were skimmed the last time the kitchen was made over. I have 2 questions -

1. What is the best way to remove odd patches of paint left on the walls after I have removed the rest of the paper?

2. I am thinking of painting the walls and would like to use an emulsion paint. What is best for the kitchen and what prep should I do on the skimmed walls. My guess is the plaster has never been sealed given the way the paper and paint effect underneath are coming off the walls.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You could try using a steam stripper to shift the last of the paint and a filling knife to scrape it with, the thin blade will get behind it better without damaging the wall to much.

As for prep work before you paint, then you must scrub the walls well to remove any traces of old paste otherwise the paint wont last long.

You may want to consider lining the walls first because by the time you have scrubbed them and filled them..(you will notice thing that need to be filled once the firs coat has gone on) rubbed em down and painted them again a couple of times....it might be easier to line them.

If not..make sure yu thin the frst coat down by about 30% water this will allow it to be absorbed into the wall and 'lock it on' to the surface..otherwise...if you use a couple of full unthinned coats the moisture from the paint will be absorbed into the surface leaving the rest of it just sitting on the surface...which will eventually cause it to blow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back