Plaster Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I decided to strip the wallpaper in my living room last night. Halfway up the wall there was a dado (sp) rail which seemed to be glued on with the strongest glue possible. I got to work on it with the hammer and chisel and eventually got it off the wall. However plaster came with it! I'm now left with about a 10cm strip of crumbling plaster or space where plaster used to be all around the room.

My question is, should I get rid of all the plaster on the wall and re-plaster from scratch, or can I just go over the bits that have come off and mix it with the old plaster?

Sponsored Links
If you have removed a "Strip" of plaster, suggest use hardwall as base coat. Slap it on, and use a straight edge running against both sides of the strip to flatten to the correct level. When nearly dry, flatten with a float and gently scratch to take the finnish coat. It's easier to put the finnish on before the base has completely dried, i.e. don't leave overnight. Scim the top on, and blend in by splashing with water then float off. You can get the nice polished effect by using a dry float when nearly set.
Hope that helps - did exacltly the same thing myself :rolleyes:
Best of luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back