Plaster/Skimming over plasterboard thats shy of wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've blocked an old doorway with plasterboard, and have now discovered the walls either side of the board aren't completley straight - the board is 1mm shy of the wall at the top and about 5mm shy at the bottom on both sides of the wall.

I've used a plasterboard filler over the screw heads, but as the board is shy of the wall, should I still use joint tape and fill along the edges?? Will the joint tape adhere to the wall??

And does anyone have any ideas on the cost for a decent plasterer to cover both sides of the board to make it flush with the surrounding walls?

Sponsored Links
Not too sure what you mean :confused: sounds straight forward but jobs like this have to be viewed first.

Suggest getting a couple of quotes and expect to pay anything from £120 - £250.

5mm is getting a bit on the high side but it should still be OK as long as your plasterer knows what he’s’ doing. I always chip the original plaster jagged around the edges to form a key, fill & use 2-3 staggered tape widths to help stop cracking around the join. Most times, I prefer to base the new bit & then skim the whole wall as it doesn’t involve that much more work & the finished job will look so much better. Cost wise, to fill & skim a door opening is going to take an hour at most, especially as your doing all the work; but you’ll probably be charged a minimum ½ day & IMO that should definitely be no more than £100! If you get the whole wall skimmed, be prepared to pay for a full day & that should be less than £200 but make sure you get a definite quote first!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys, Ill find a few plasterers and get some quotes. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back