Plaster stain woes. Can you paint Zinsser Bullseye 123 on top of Vynil Matt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

In my kitchen there was an area in the corner where the wall meets the ceiling (an old chimney flu) that suffered some damp due to either a leaky roof or heavy rainfall getting inside the open chimney stacks at the top. At the time I had my walls and ceiling skimmed and as a result the damp chimney area caused the fresh plaster skim to dry slower. The area looked pretty stained after it dried. There was a cracked roof tile above that had been fixed, however I'm not sure if this was entirely the cause.

So everything feels dry. I sanded the area and painted with mist then Delux vinyl matt. However it is really patchy! I was thinking of giving it a few more coats of the Vynil matt in this area though would the stain just come through again?

I bought Zinsser Bullseye 123 (water based) as it says it is a stain blocker. Is this ok to paint onto the existing vinyl matt? If I paint this over the entire stained area and then paint the vinyl matt on top will the vinyl matt stick to the zinsser ok?

I did originally wipe the mist coat off these areas and paint on some zinsser gardz, though the paint didn't stick to that very well, just wiped off with water the next day, so had to sand it all off :(

I need to get my flat ready asap as my girlfriend is pregnant and needs to move in. This stained area is holding up the kitchen in a big way so any help would be great.

ceiling1.jpg
ceiling2.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can use the Zinsser Bullseye 123 on matt emulsion. May need a couple of coats. Then repaint as normal. You can still use an oil based sealer if you prefer, like Zinsser Coverstain, or even a cheap white oil based undercoat.

cheers Robbie. I've been reading up and apparently the bullseye isn't as good as the BIN (oil Based) version, so might need to take it back and get the BIN. Does oil based make a big difference with this sort of thing?

Sponsored Links
BTW BIN isn't oil based. It uses good old alcohol as a base.

(IMO) Household ammonia is the most effective way of cleaning brushes and rollers after use. It stinks but breaks the paint down rather than simply diluting it. You are left with white powder in water once the ammonia evaporates off. You can then simply pour it down the sink. No mess at all.

Ah ok I didn't know that. I tried cleaning the brush in white spirit though didn't do much good. I just let the rollers and tin foil (placed over roller tray) dry out and binned them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back