Plasterboad to External Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Need to hide a real mess of a wall, build in wardrobe now removed and left all kinds of mess in its path to the wall.
What i want to do to hide all of this is to put up a plasterboard wall over it to hide it and make it look 100% better.
I am trying to work out how to do this though, dont want to dot and dab and want to use baton.
I was looking at getting some baton that was 21mm deep and i think 40mm wide and space it at 400mm between each one. However, i dont know whether to put insulation in the cavity. I see that you ca buy 25mm polystyrene but that would be a 4mm difference? does that matter?

I would be using the 12.5mm plasterboard though. Its an external wall btw and very cold hence the insulation. Should i get the insulated plasterboard also?

Lee

Sponsored Links
Do any of the sheds do 25 x 50mm batons? I cant seem to find any that do

i had this exact problem after using Wickes 22 x 47mm treated timber.
I did find one sheet of 20mm polystyrene in wickes but think it was a fluke.
I was suprised how much the 25mm pushed the plaster board out and ended up stamping on it to try to flatten it out a bit.
i think you can get celotex at 20mm but has to be an online order.

Try to find 25mm battons if you can. A mate who ordered from the site below said it was delivered by his local travis perkins:

http://www.buildingmaterials.co.uk/joinery/timber/sawn-timber-25mm-50mm/

Sponsored Links
you could of course get packers and pack the batten off of the wall the required amount, if you want it to look 100% better you'll probably need packers anyway as I would be surprised if your wall was flat, plumb and true.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back