Plasterboard and window reveals and cavity closers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

Some of you will know I am renovating a property at the moment, current weekend project replacing the windowsill on a bay window. The last owner had new windows fitted at somepoint, and the fitters covered the existing sills in horrible plastic PVC cover stuff ewww. Stripped it off but the boards under are ruined so new ones it is.

Due to the depth I cant get proper window board so got some timber to make one. Part of getting the old board off meant removing the wood acting as window reveals cos they were resting on the window board.

The pics below show the rough new boards, router fun tomorrow :)

View media item 92757
View media item 92758
View media item 92759
So, here are my questions :)

1. I am planning on fitting plasterboard and skimming the reveals. Can I just dot dab it and does it have to be foil backed ? (moisture)

2. Do I need to fit a cavity closer under the window board ? (I am going to fill in where the cavity wall insulation didn't get to !)

3. Shout I seal the underside of the window board to protect against moisture ?

Thanks everyone for looking.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back