PLASTERBOARD JOINTS:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Regarding using plasterboard on a ceiling and looking at other threads, if I get the whole area skimmed does this also take care of joints or are joints still taped and filled, prior to skimming?? If I do need to do the joints do I need to be especially fussy feathering edges etc. or will skimming also take care of this too? And if I'm butting square edges of cut boards, do I give the edges a bit of a taper (what with?) or no need to bother?? Advice appreciated.

This job now taken on some urgency as a small (but heavy) section of plaster (ceiling is lath and plaster) fell down unprovoked today and nearly took out my wife! - could have been a manslaughter charge!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all advice.
Sorry to labour the point - I've yet to see taper edge plasterboard as my local DIY store only had square edged. Is board tapered on all 4 sides or just along long edges? If short sides ARE square edged, is it advisable to create a bit of a chamfer (what's the best tool to use, something like a Surform?)? - I'm still thinking to paper over rather than get it skimmed (not entirely becos I'm tight-fisted). Btw, I haven't got a truck, what's the chances of getting board delivered undamaged? - I expect a regular plasterer wouldn't be greatly fussed (or have his own truck!).

Boards are only tapered on the rolled edge (long edge)

Strictly speaking you dont need to use tapered edge board for tape and fill

dont chamfer the short edge, the paper is all thats holding the plasterboard together

I think I wrote you quite a detailed description on how to tape and fill your ceiling on one of your other threads.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. I can't comment as I have zero practical experience although I'm surprised none of the miracle flexible sealants fit the bill. But the reason for some confusion is that on similar threads here, some advise you can't get a decent joint unless you use taper edge boards. I went to a large branch of a major DIY store today (probably a trade store is better?) and they had no taper edge boards at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back