Plasterboard-poly filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all first post.

I need to put plasterboard up above my stairs. It’s about 3 metres x 1 metre. Can I butt the boards up close together as possible and then fill any gaps with poly filler? I’ve seen videos on YouTube of people using tape and joining compound (?) with loads of tools (which I’d need to buy) and going over it 3 times. I don’t get why that needs to be done. Can I just save myself all that hassle and fill the gaps with poly filler and sand to a smooth finish or is that just not gonna work? I’m a complete newbie to all this!

thanks for any advice…

Sponsored Links
There is the proper way to do things, the ok way to do things and the bodging way to do things!

Proper way - skim the plasterboard

Ok way - tape and joint plasterboard, properly done with tapered edge boards.

Bodging way - cut a small notch out of the edge of the plasterboard where they will butt against each other, so when they join, there is a 'V' groove between the two boards.
Fill this groove with a couple of layers of 'no-tape' jointing compound.
Fill the edges of board against the existing walls with a flexible caulk.
Sand down and seal the filler.

Simple! :)

I have used the bodgy way many times, with a decent result. The benefit being, it doesn't take too much time and if it does look bad, you can always use the other methods.

I'm sure others will have different opinions, but this works for me! :)

Think I should have posted this in ‘plastering and rendering’. Doh!

Thanks for info. Maybe I should try the ‘ok way’ then. Some tools to buy! How would I deal with the join where the plasterboard meets the wall?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. Still not decided how to do this.
I wonder how much it would cost to get it skimmed. Any idea? It’s 3x1 meters approximately

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back