Using filler over aluminium foil tape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have recently insulated and plasterboarded a ceiling . I put silver aluminium foil tape around the perimeter of the insulation. I now want to fill the gaps between the plasterboard ceiling and walls. There is aluminium foil within this gaps, both at the back and a little on the wall. Is it ok to use filler directly in here or will the aluminium foil need primer (or something) to help the filler adhere?

If it makes any difference I've got Toupret filler. After filling I was planning to finish with caulk before decroating.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
How big is gap?
Small gaps I use stixall polymer
Bigger gaps can be filled but if board has paper edges then fine. Dry dusty cut edge needs sealing so filler sticks.
Then put a tape over before you skim.

I've also used foam, cut flat and tape over

How big is gap?

The gaps vary around the perimeter. At the widest points it's 10mm.

Small gaps I use stixall polymer

Good plan. I wasn't going to bother filling the smaller gaps. I was just going to fill the larger spaces so that it isn't all filled with caulk/sealant. Stixall polymer, I think that might be similar to Geocel The Works, which I already have some of. Would you say that's better to use than caulk?

Bigger gaps can be filled but if board has paper edges then fine. Dry dusty cut edge needs sealing so filler sticks.

Good thinking - I hadn't thought of that. The PB edges are all cut, so I'll look to seal them first then. Any suggestions as to what to use to seal the edges?

Then put a tape over before you skim.

I won't be skimming. I'm planning to paint the plasterboard as is, after going around the perimeter edges and filling screw heads. I'll prime/seal the plasterboard before applying the final paint.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Seal gap with waterproof PVA. Small wood glue 50/50 with water or gardz. Then use the filler you have and when set after 45 mins or so, tape with fine mesh or fibre fuse then more filler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back