blocking a catflap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a catflap (well, a tunnel really) passing through a double external wall that I want to close up permanently, although not so permanently that a future owner couldn't reopen it.

Here's the plan:

On the outside screw an aluminium cover plate, with a line of sealant to keep out the rain. Fill the tunnel with loft insulation. Use a bit of plasterboard to make good the internal wall.

How does that sound? Am I missing anything? Is there a better tunnel filler (expanding foam, for example)?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
if you can fit a large airbrick on the outside, it might blend in with the wall better.

Hmmm..an air brick. I hadn't thought of that, although the hole is one and half bricks wide and about the same height.

In general, should I provide some ventilation to the tunnel, or seal it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
seal the inside, allow a little ventilation from the outside - this will prevent warm damp air from indoors condensing on the cool wall.

If you see any advantage to increasing ventilation to the room, you could fit a hit-and-miss vent on the inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back