Skirting board - how best to fix to recessed block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope everyone is well.

I'm looking into putting new skirting in after an LVT flooring install - please see photo.

I'm thinking about DIY'ing it as there are only a few external corners and mainly internal.

Part of the walling is plasterboard which is easier to attach the skirting to. However, parts of it are exposed blockwork which is recessed due to plastering. The original skirting was attached via nails and with bits of plasterboard stuck in the recess to provide the backing for the skirting.

How best to reattach new skirting? The skirt will be slightly taller so it will hide the recess. I was thinking about attaching plasterboard pieces via screws in the block and then screwing into these pieces through the skirting? Little hesitant using expanding foam.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 16204792096385805507625975523844.jpg
    16204792096385805507625975523844.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 151
Sponsored Links
If it's not going to show do you need to screw the loose plasterboard in the first place, why not just screw through the skirting and the plasterboard sat behind it?

Blup

If it's not going to show do you need to screw the loose plasterboard in the first place, why not just screw through the skirting and the plasterboard sat behind it?

Blup

Hi Blup,

Thanks for the response, so literally screw through the skirt, loose plasterboard, and into the blockwork? What type of screw recon best, assuming I'd have to put a plug in the blockwork ready also?

Plasterboard is terrible stuff to use as packers - a proper cowboy builder's approach! It is far better to build up and grounds from timber, such a slate laths or OSB/plywood, etc, and fix it to the masonry, then fix your skirting to that. Plaster board doesn't hold fixing very well and breaks up too easily - timber holds nails and screws and generally won't disintegrate if a fixing goes into it. TBH if you can't pack out with timber, then foam really is a better solution that bits of plasterboard

Sponsored Links
Buy a bag of plaster, fill it in and glue skirts on.

Hi Blup,

Thanks for the response, so literally screw through the skirt, loose plasterboard, and into the blockwork? What type of screw recon best, assuming I'd have to put a plug in the blockwork ready also?

I'd use wood screws and nylon plugs, pilot drilling the skirting through the plasterboard and then into the block, so the hole for the plug can be drilled out accurately. If the section of plasterboard (or wood if you wish) you use as filler is substantial enough, and you drill and screw carefully it shouldn't be a problem, the main advantage being it is as thick as the existing board.

The bosch multi material drill bits will cope with block plasterboard and wood, and can be purchased in long lengths.

Be aware that many/most builders would use expanding foam as time is money.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back