What's the best way to attach skirting board to a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed the skirting on my landing to renew some floorboards and now i don't know whats the best way to fit the skirting as the old skirting was nailed to the floorboards and there is no plaster to attach the skirting to. I'm thinking of screwing the skirting to the wall but would it best to fill the gap with plaster or sand and cement.

Sponsored Links
theres lot of different school of thought on this site ,I am presuming this is a brick wall, if thats the case,I would plaster the gap ,rendering sand and cement would be fine ,berore rendering seal the wall with diluted unibond say 5:1 and then re fix with screws and plug's

On one wall it's brick but on the other it's brick and breeze block.

It's my view that the best job is by battening the wall. Pencil along the wall where the top of the skirting will be, chop out any plaster below the line. Drill and plug the wall and attach a wooden batten level with your line, and pack it out so it is (pretty well) flush with the plaster. Fill any gaps or unevenness between the existing plaster and the batten.

Put another batten about an inch above finished floor level, packed flush with the top one.

You can then screw the skirting to the battens, it only needs small countersunk screws because you are fixing to the secure, flat battens.

Some people like to have the skirting spaced off the floor enough to tuck the cut edge of the carpet under it.

Sponsored Links
Plaster it roughly flat

Sticks like sh** on the back of the skirting, and stick it on. If there are any bits that don't sit nicely, drill through into the wall, whack a plug in and a 40mm screw and tighten.

Once its dry, use painters mate to fill the gap at the top

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back