Gluing skirting board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had some plastering done around my living room chimney breast and the skirting boards had to be removed. I've repapered this wall right down to the floor and I now want to put skirting boards round. I'm intending to use something like Pinkgrip, Gripfill or No More Nails to stick the skirting board to the wall but I'm now wondering whether it will stick to the wallpaper or if I'll have to take the paper off at the bottom of the wall where the skirting board goes. Can anyone advise on this please.

Sponsored Links
Remove the paper, or your skirting boards are only attached to the paper so easy to pull off.

I always use Sticks Like **** for skirtings, and add screws where there is bounce or wall unevenness. But other adhesives probably work as well. Gripfill stinks though, I hate the stuff!!

Remove the paper, or your skirting boards are only attached to the paper so easy to pull off.

I always use Sticks Like **** for skirtings, and add screws where there is bounce or wall unevenness. But other adhesives probably work as well. Gripfill stinks though, I hate the stuff!!

Thanks for that. I'll keep off Gripfill!

Sponsored Links
Try adhesive foam, it goes off much quicker than gripfill, and will handle irregularities in the wall.
Thanks for that but I think the fact that it expands and pushes the sk bd away from the wall might create a few problems for me so I'll probably go for Gripfill or something similar.

Just done a room using Pink Grip, very impressed considering its one of the cheapest.

Having used sticks like s*** before I can vouch for it's effectiveness - however possibly even better is the nemesis stuff they sell in screwfix, it's a bit thicker and therefore harder work to squeeze out the gun but it really grabs very strongly!

Having used sticks like s*** before I can vouch for it's effectiveness - however possibly even better is the nemesis stuff they sell in screwfix, it's a bit thicker and therefore harder work to squeeze out the gun but it really grabs very strongly!

Thanks for the tip.

I should add the nemesis stuff is also pretty much odourless/solvent free - I think it's a polyurethane type construction adhesive.

expands and pushes the sk bd away from the wall

Totally right, and you need to learn how to handle it. You can either use it sparingly, and push it back against the wall if it expands, or having applied it, you pull it away, wait for about 10 seconds, and then push it back on. But it goes off in about 5 minutes, sets rock solid, and you don't need to bother with screws.

dow insta stick has virtually no expansion after the initial foaming out of the tin

If the plastering has been taken down to floor level its possible it has bridged the dpc.

If so then you will need to hack it off above the dpc level or you will suffer damp problems in the near future. Plasterer should have been aware of this and stopped short of the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back