Screws or Nails for Skirting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just ordered some new skirting boards and I will be fixing them to the wall (first timer).

Some of the boards are 4m and 3m long.

I will be using Gripfill to stick them to the wall but I also need to make sure it's attached properly with screws or nails.

I have a brick wall with render on it.
a) Should I use nails or screws?

b) What length should I use? My skirting is 18mm thick.

c) Do I need wall plugs?

d) If I use a nail, how do I get it countersunk without damaging the skirting with a hammer?

Appreciate the help,

JH

Sponsored Links
I find gripfill very poor on skirtings , slow to cure and poor grab. Adhesive foam works quicker and is easy to use. Then you won’t need any screws or nails .

I find gripfill very poor on skirtings , slow to cure and poor grab. Adhesive foam works quicker and is easy to use. Then you won’t need any screws or nails .

Since I have a 4m board, I wanted to secure it with something else also.
So I thought a nail or a screw.

Any suggestions?

JH

Sponsored Links
Doesn't foam expand and create a type of thickness between board and wall?

I have used No Nonsense foam in the past but that was just to fill empty spaces. Is that the one?

JH

I have used No Nonsense foam in the past but that was just to fill empty spaces. Is that the one?

You need something described as a "sticky foam", and you need a gun to apply it so that you get a thin uniform bead.

It seems like the foam will be a hit or miss. I don't want to mess up the boards if its gonna expand and create a large gap. I'd rather go with a standard adhesive and add nails or screws.

Anyhow, any suggestions on the nail and screws?

c) Do I need wall plugs?

d) If I use a nail, how do I get it countersunk without damaging the skirting with a hammer?

JH

Yes, nails or screws.

More than 18mm then.

c) Do I need wall plugs?

Depends.

With a nail punch.

Fundamental question: what is the wall behind made of?

a) Should I use nails or screws? I know I need one, but which one?

b) What length should I use? My skirting is 18mm thick. What should be the exact size of the nail (or screw)?

c) Do I need wall plugs? What does it depend on?

d) If I use a nail, how do I get it countersunk without damaging the skirting with a hammer? The wall is made of brick blocks and render on top. I don't have a nail gun though.

The wall is made of brick blocks and render on top.

There are various nails and screws that will go into brick & block without the need for plugs, and there are also hammer- and frame-fixings that you could use. Have a look at the screwfix website and see what you fancy. I don't have any particular recommendations.

a) Should I use nails or screws? I know I need one, but which one?

b) What length should I use? My skirting is 18mm thick. What should be the exact size of the nail (or screw)?

c) Do I need wall plugs? What does it depend on?

d) If I use a nail, how do I get it countersunk without damaging the skirting with a hammer? The wall is made of brick blocks and render on top. I don't have a nail gun though.
See this thread and post 6 ,either plug or fill contersunk heads, I mainly use 60mm in masonary.
litl
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/skirting-board-wedges-plugs.483971/#post-3929393

Last edited:
use screws with plugs recess the screws and use either filler to cover or a dowel plug if the boards are thick enough. I personally find they do less damage if you need to remove.

for corners where the two edges join in to the room rather than the corner a bit of glue and fine nails works to keep the edge sharp

You need foam adhesive not foam filler.Very different products. Any expansion is allowed before contact with wall, no movement after fixing.

You need foam adhesive not foam filler.Very different products. Any expansion is allowed before contact with wall, no movement after fixing.

If it's expanded, doesn't that create a larger gap? Or is it still liquid enough to flatten into place?
Is it messier than the standard adhesives?

JH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back