Sticking on skirtingboards - or nailing?

Coving adhesive from a caulking gun, do it right and you wont need caulk the gaps afterwards and it sticks to paint/dust. Gripfil is quite fussy if the surface is dusty/powdery at all.

Sponsored Links
Bought some Eco Stik skirting board adhesive from B&Q and it is useless. I was going to get No More Nails, but was this on the shelf and thought it would be better. Struggling to make it stick.

2 walls are plaster over brick - I tried hammering a nail into it as previous boards were nailed on, but that failed - obviously using the wrong nails! Bit annoying as I bought ready painted skirting board to make the job quicker and easier for me ...

what glue do people use? I have some of the Everbuild pink dryfix foam left, I might use that for the rest of the job ...

looks like you got there already but if you try using just adhesive, grab adhesive works best, apply using circles of the glue instead of lines down the back of the skirting, the circles gives you suction and holds the skirting back to the wall, i try stay away from drill and plugging its a ball ache

Yeah, I glued and then put in one screw/plug to hold it firm, all OK. Sticky foam is my preferred method now!

Sponsored Links
Some sort of adhesive like no more nails or Sticks Like $HIT.

Saves the hassle of filling over nails imo, and of course the traditional slip of the hammer.

All of this as long as you're not planning on removing them any time soon, because that's another story.

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back