damaged skirting area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i was wondering if anyone could help, i have pulled off all the skirting in the living room before laying laminate flooring, with the view to putting fresh skirting on, problem is , the house is old, and removing the skirting has pulled out a lot of the bit that was attaching it, like a strip of wood with plug like things that were fixed into the brick behind, most of it is still attached to the skirting and is broken, i am intending to just put the new skirting on with no nails or similar, but how best to repair this area so it is flat and smooth to attach new skirting, thanks .

Sponsored Links
I guess whats happened is that when you removed the old skirting it came away with the original timber plugs that used to hold it on, plus a few chunks of plaster....is this correct?
Well, remove any really crumbly stuff that remains, and remove the dust with a brush or vacuum cleaner.
The usual DIY sheds stock tubs of ready mixed plaster....beleive me it isn't the best for finish but it is well handy, and can often be applied to around 2" thick - much more than you need. Don't buy the stuff thats used for 'skimming' though!
You'll also need a plasterers float to apply this stuff and basically you just press the plaster firmly into the gaps with a wiping action, and it could help to dampen the wall first.
Wickes do leaflets to help you through tasks like this, so enjoy!
John :)

Yep, that's exactly what's happened, i will get some of that plaster then , thanks for your help .

Sponsored Links
Indeed you are most welcome.
If the wall behind is particularly porous, it can be sealed with a PVA glue solution - this is the common indoor woodwork adhesive and it can prevent too much of the moisture in the plaster from soaking through.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back