Filling damaged plaster behind skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Apologies if this is a stupid question....

I recently ripped off the skirting boards in my kitchen. In the process of getting them off, I damaged a lot of the plaster behind.

Whats best way to repair it ? Just use some coarse filler to repair damaged areas ? or buy some plaster and slap it on ?

Obviously not bothered about finish as it will be covered with new skirting (which im going to glue on) so just got to be reasonably flat and flush.

If putting filler/plaster on existing damaged/crumbling plaster, do you have to coat the existing plaster with anything first ?

Any other tips appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Sponsored Links
i don't know of coarse filler but i guess a trip to your local builder’s merchants might identify.

i would just use finish plaster. paint on some diluted PVA (between 2:1 & 1:1 water:pva) before applying the plaster.

the only trouble is that finish plaster will crack if put on thickly. so u would need to gradually build in a few layers of say 5mm or put a thick coat on leaving 2 to 3 mm for final coat.

for the small amount u will need u could mix in a bucket with a trowel. u will need a floating trowel to put the plaster on with and to get a decent flattish finished surface.

have a read in the plastering section for more tips/advice and ask if u need any more specific details.

You could pop down to B&Q and buy a tub of Polyfilla's ready mixed plaster which is grey in colour and claimed to be applied up to 2" thick....its still a good idea to wet the wall with water / PVA mix.

Sponsored Links
get your self a bag of carlite bonding fill voids,allow to dry off, coat with pva mixed with water.let it go off then use solvent free gun a nail as it works better with new plastered area. jobs a good un.

for a real professional finish when you fit new skirting, seal top with decorators chalking, then wash in with a wet paint brush.using brush side ways so as not to push the chaulking behind the skirting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back