1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Skirting board - how best to fix to recessed block

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by Slicecbr, 8 May 2021.

1. Slicecbr

Slicecbr

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hope everyone is well.

I'm looking into putting new skirting in after an LVT flooring install - please see photo.

I'm thinking about DIY'ing it as there are only a few external corners and mainly internal.

Part of the walling is plasterboard which is easier to attach the skirting to. However, parts of it are exposed blockwork which is recessed due to plastering. The original skirting was attached via nails and with bits of plasterboard stuck in the recess to provide the backing for the skirting.

How best to reattach new skirting? The skirt will be slightly taller so it will hide the recess. I was thinking about attaching plasterboard pieces via screws in the block and then screwing into these pieces through the skirting? Little hesitant using expanding foam.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. blup

blup

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If it's not going to show do you need to screw the loose plasterboard in the first place, why not just screw through the skirting and the plasterboard sat behind it?

Blup

4. Slicecbr

Slicecbr

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Blup,

Thanks for the response, so literally screw through the skirt, loose plasterboard, and into the blockwork? What type of screw recon best, assuming I'd have to put a plug in the blockwork ready also?

5. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Plasterboard is terrible stuff to use as packers - a proper cowboy builder's approach! It is far better to build up and grounds from timber, such a slate laths or OSB/plywood, etc, and fix it to the masonry, then fix your skirting to that. Plaster board doesn't hold fixing very well and breaks up too easily - timber holds nails and screws and generally won't disintegrate if a fixing goes into it. TBH if you can't pack out with timber, then foam really is a better solution that bits of plasterboard

6. cdbe

cdbe

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Buy a bag of plaster, fill it in and glue skirts on.

7. blup

blup

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

I'd use wood screws and nylon plugs, pilot drilling the skirting through the plasterboard and then into the block, so the hole for the plug can be drilled out accurately. If the section of plasterboard (or wood if you wish) you use as filler is substantial enough, and you drill and screw carefully it shouldn't be a problem, the main advantage being it is as thick as the existing board.

The bosch multi material drill bits will cope with block plasterboard and wood, and can be purchased in long lengths.

Be aware that many/most builders would use expanding foam as time is money.

Blup

8. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Fixing foam not expanding foam.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sponsored Links