Soundproof ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to soundproof a ceiling in a Victorian property (built aporox 1860). I will be:

1. Taking down lath and plaster ceiling (done and horrible job)
2. Use accoustic sealant on areas where there is a hole in the floorboards (above), for example radiator pipes.
3. Using RW3 Acoustic Slab 100mm thick (60kgm3) between the joists.
4. Adding resilient bars
5. Adding 2 layers of 15mm accoustic/soundproof plasterboard.
6. Sealing the perimeter with accoustic sealant for each layer of plasterboard.
7. Skimming ceiling.

My question is before undertaking step 3, should I take any steps to seal the perimeter of the room. Which is the gap between floorboards and the solid brick wall (see pic and red squiggles). The gap appears to be approx 15mm.

If I should seal the perimeter, should it be accoustic sealant? Seems like I will use up a lot if so. Or should I use expanding foam? Or does sealing the perimeter compromise airflow and leave me susceptible to more problems in the future?

Any advice is appreciated on the perimeter sealing question and/or my general approach please.
20230819_125301.jpg

Attachments

• 20230819_125254.jpg
    20230819_125254.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 25
Sponsored Links
This will do a better job around the edges and is a fire block too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back