Accoustic air vent for shed/cabin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping for advice/opinions.
I have a newly built shed with 70mm studwork which has been filled with rockwool in the walls and celotex in the roof. I plan to add soundbloc plasterboard too soon. Even without the plasterboard I am amazed about how much quieter it is already! So the Rockwool is helping. I have a vapour barrier added too, as I want to use this with a small heater in winter. I won't use every day but a few times a week.

In my quest to make as sound proof it as much as possible (for mini cinema), I am concerned about ventilation. There are no ventsat all, no windows and a solid door. The room is 4m x 3m and 3m high. My question is, should I risk the little but important soundproofing I have by introducing an accoustic air vent
http://www.soundservice.co.uk/acoustic_vents.html
Or, should I not bother at all with a vent? And just see how it goes, open the door from time to time and have a dehumidifier?

Any thoughts?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
The trick of soundproofing is mass and no holes.
As soon as you introduce a vent you make a massive hole

A tiny hole lets a lot of noise out

I would be tempted to use a split aircon unit- possibly on sale at this time of year?

I would be tempted to use a split aircon unit- possibly on sale at this time of year?

Thanks for responding. I havent thought about that before. So it can heat, cool and dehumidify. Seen one for £400.
My concern would be the days I'm not using it, is there a risk of mould with no fresh air?
So you think the accoustic vent is a big no no regardless?

Last edited:

Hi I'm a little confused as I just had a look at split units. From what I can see you need to have a hole through the wall anyway to connect tubes from the inner unit to outer units, so how is this any different?

Sponsored Links
The hole is for a hose (2) that carries liquid
A vent allows air to pass through

You'd ensure that the hoses were properly sealed in

We converted a mate's garage into a studio and it's very efficient. We didn't bother with vents or a/c
It's about 8 feet by 20 at a guess with a lower than normal ceiling but not by much.

It gets stuffy when there's 3-4 people, all the computers going and some amps after 90.mins but by then somebody will have gone to the loo, gone for a fag etc... there are two sets of doors

One thing that you might want to address- 4x3x3 is nearly a cube. That's about the worst shape for sound
Make sure that you knock off some of the 90° corners and add some acoustic treatment to the walls

We converted a mate's garage into a studio and it's very efficient. We didn't bother with vents or a/c
It's about 8 feet by 20 at a guess with a lower than normal ceiling but not by much.

It gets stuffy when there's 3-4 people, all the computers going and some amps after 90.mins but by then somebody will have gone to the loo, gone for a fag etc... there are two sets of doors

One thing that you might want to address- 4x3x3 is nearly a cube. That's about the worst shape for sound
Make sure that you knock off some of the 90° corners and add some acoustic treatment to the walls

Great. Thanks for the advice. In the main, it will be only 1 or two people at most. So I will see how it goes and first and see from there.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back