Sound proofing room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into a detached two storey house (so neighbours are not a problem for noise) and looking to use one of the spare upstairs bedrooms as a small home cinema. We have a young baby so will have to try keeping the noise down as much as possible and I’m looking to improve the sound proofing. The baby’s room is located at the opposite corner of the house where the room would be. Door to door is around 4-5m distance away with the hall in between. I have done a little research and looking to do the following but wanting to make sure its sound ok and in good practice from a construction point of view:

•Main room internal wall: These are plain stud walls and I’m looking at removing the internal existing plasterboard and fitting insulation mineral wall in the stud cavity. Resilient bars will be fitted horizontal across onto the joists of which the new plasterboard will be mounted on. Plasterboard will be a double skin of 15mm soundbloc plasterboard with a Green Glue (acoustic seal) interface.
•Floor: I’ve read the best economical way to soundproof the floor is to lift the floor boards and fill the cavity with rockwool and then reinstate the original floor. Can I just lay this straight into the void? I’m worried if the ceiling below will take the weight as its probably just plasterboard.
•Ceiling: I’m thinking of adding a 15mm single layer of soundbloc plasterboard screwed into the existing ceiling with a Green Glue interface in between.
•Plaster skim all new walls and ceiling.
•Door: Install a new fire rated internal door and seal up the edge.

Just wondering if anyone can give any thoughts if this sounds ok or if I’ve missed anything?

Sponsored Links
Don't spend a single penny on soundproofing; babies can sleep through the Apocalypse.... in fact there are even people who say babies sleep better with a bit of human noise around them as they had in the womb.

If you make it that they have to have a quiet room to sleep now you are restricting them to needing this for the rest of their life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back