Advice on soundproofing a bathroom on a budget

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am creating a new upstairs bathroom. The bathroom will be towards the rear of the property so as to have easy access to waste water pipes. The bathroom will be between 2 bedrooms so I need to minimize the sound as much as possible. We don't have too much space to work with so cannot have cavity walls.

Which is the better solution, using 15mm sounbloc plasterboards or doubling up standard plasterboards using green glue?

Is it worth adding an extra layer of plasterboard to the ceiling for added sound reduction?

I am also thinking of using earthwool rock mineral insulation between the joists under the bathroom to reduce the sound level further.

The bathroom will be tiled from floor to ceiling and I am hoping to source some acoustic pipe insulation but don't know if they are available from high street retailers.

I am unsure about the type of door I would need for further noise reduction so would welcome your suggestions.

Please let me know your opinions on the above and whether there are alternative affordable solutions that I should be thinking about.

Sponsored Links
My overriding concern when refurbishing our house was the sounds from the WCs reverberating through the wood floor and being heard downstairs. This was why I built strong frames from 4x2 and attached them to the wall then bolted the WC pans to them, so that there is no contact between the pan and the floor. This helps with cleaning as well.

The hidden Geberit cisterns have a very quiet valves even when the water pressure is high.

Have a look at the pics on my "bathroom refurb" thread further down the "your projects" page.

I have just had all new internal doors fitted and they have helped to reduce noise by quite a lot.

They are called Premdor Safe N Sound doors. They are very heavy but you don't notice that once they are fitted. A local Jewsons ordered them in for me. They were about £40 each and free delivery.

You could also get an insulated toilet cistern and a slow close seat. You could even consider putting hooks on the backs of doors for dressing gowns and towels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back