Soundproofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've recently spent a fair few quid soundproofing my semi and sadly haven't achieved the reduction I had hoped for.

Downstairs where we had a space to burn we built a stud wall away from the party wall, two lots of 50mm acoustic insulation with resilient bars holding a soundproofing mat sandwiched between two sheets of 15 mm sound board. It's massively reduced the noise that was coming through the walls.

Upstairs is less efficient, all of the above was done apart from due to lack of space we battened the wall and only used 50mm of insulation between battens. This has only reduced the noise by half at best.

The floors were lifted and holes in the party wall filled with acoustic mastic and the cavity then completely filled with acoustic earthwool.

I can still hear the people walking around quite loudly and want to quotes this even more as it wakes me up too often. Most voice noises have gone but the creaking of the floor still resonates through the wall despite the resilient bars and boards being properly fitted.

I have 30mm left I can play with, any ideas on how to make it quieter?

Apart from ripping it all off and starting again with a small cavity then stud wall I can only think of adding two layers of extra sound board.

Has anyone had a similar problem and hopefully a solution to follow?

Sponsored Links
The floors were lifted and holes in the party wall filled with acoustic mastic and the cavity then completely filled with acoustic earthwool.

Is this a suspended timber floor? If so, can air still circulate under the floor to ventilate the space and prevent rot? Quite important, that.

Cheers
Richard

Thanks for the suggestion, I've asked them to get carpet on the landing and got a pretty blank faced stare, can't see them letting me mess up their beautiful chipboard floor with some nasty black screws.

In regards to the air gap, to be honest I don't think there is one. The insulation isn't crammed in though so hopefully there's some room to breath.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back