Wall Soundproofing Solutions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Background. Mate of mine has recently moved into a Victorian semi. The party/adjoining wall separates the laundry/utility room, kitchen and formal lounge from the neighboring property. My mate wants to investigate soundproofing solutions for the wall in the laundry/utility room and the kitchen. The former isn't very wide so they can't afford to lose much in terms of existing room width. The latter is a larger space that, in theory, could lose some of the existing room width however in an idea world as little as possible.

I've done some Googling on his behalf and understand there are broadly speaking two types of solution, namely:

1. Frame solutions (wooden/metal framing attached to wall, filled with acoustic reducing material, covered with acoustic reducing panels.)
2. Panel solutions (acoustic reducing panels that essentially attach directly to the wall.)

There are dozens of ways to approach either, however broadly speaking if I'm reading websites correctly the frame approach tends to offer greater acoustic reduction results assuming good installation? The downside being greater cost, more work required, loss of room space (albeit not much.) The panel solution is more cost effective, less work involved, less loss of room space, however acoustic reduction results might not be as good.

However, on balance my mate isn't keen on belt & braces, so I wondered if a solution along these lines would suffice, anyone any experience of installing this or similar directly to brick walls and if yes how effective was it?

https://www.noisestopsystems.co.uk/shop/walls/noisestop2-plus-panel/

I should point out my mate isn't expecting noise from the neighbor, it's more to do with enabling his family to live that bit more freely without fear of disturbing the neighbors (noise from appliances in laundry/utility room, kids playing etc.) The kitchen has bare floorboards that are being retained so there's the potential for things to echo that bit more. So all they're looking to do is implement something that will assist deaden sound to a reasonable degree, they don't need the uber gold standard of solutions or results.

I'm also wondering if this sort of solution (board directly on existing walls) would help reduce noise between the kids bedrooms? It's a stud partition. Again just to help reduce general noise that kids make (older teen one side, preteens the other!)

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
The best solution is a frame built in front of the existing wall, but not attached to it.
After that would be panels attached onto the wall via things such as resilient bars.
Panels direct on the existing wall won't be as good, but whether that matters really depends on the results you want.

In any case, it's essential that the entire wall is covered, and that includes the section of wall below the floor and above the ceiling.

I built an 'acoustic' wall at my previous place as the party-wall was a single course breezeblock and you could hear every fart through it.

studwork of 63mm cls, set about 10-20mm off the wall, secured to sides, floor and ceiling, but not the wall. Where possible I cut the skirting board and plasterbaord back from the wall a bit as well - the intention was to have as little as possible touching the wall.

The voids of the studwork were packed with some acoustic fibreglass/rockwool type stuff, then boarded with 11mm OSB for strength, then 'blue' soundbloc plasterboard. I reckon I lost about 100mm of room £500 or so, and gained a massive amount of sanity (the lady next door had deaf kids). Transient noises like doors slamming still carried through the structure a bit, but the vocal ranges were reduced significantly.

Sponsored Links
DIY_Fun,
With soundproofing, the more you spend the better it is, BUT it is never as good as you wanted.

So if I was you and your mate, I would decide how much money you can afford, and decide which solution you can do based on that.
That way you are less likely to say to yourself... I wish I had spent a bit more to stop a bit more noise.
SFK

Thanks for the replies and advice. I think for now I'm going to advise my mate not to rush into doing anything, wait and see how things go and they might find nothing is required. Should they opt to do something, I'll suggest frame solution in kitchen and it would have to be boards direct to wall in the laundry room as it simply doesn't have the width to take a 5-10cm loss.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back