Shed wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

kpnuts
Hello all.

Just after some advice. I am looking to insulate my shed for all year round use. I have looked on various forums and now more confused than ever.

The shed was a bespoke prefab made into a number of panels with 70mm deep stud frame, a breather membrane and then 20mm outer cladding. The breather membrane is almost tight against the inside of the cladding. (I thought normally there should be a gap, but it is what it is)

I would like a little sound proofing and so decided to go with rw3 rockwool. 35mm. And yes I do know at that thickness it wont make a huge difference. However, I have read insulation should have an air gap between the cladding and the insulation.

The next issue I have is that rockwool is to some extent flexible and will sag slighty over time and I need to somehow keep it away from the cladding, so from outside to in - I was going to put spacers on the inside of cladding(with breather membrane) then push/ fit 15mm celotex board up to this(leaving an 20mm air gap) Then push the rockwool up to the celotex filling the rest of void. Then a vapour barrier and then soundbloc plasterboard.

As I'm sure most of you will say, I have no idea what I am doing and you would be right!

How can I make this work? Or at least make the best of a bad situation, as I have already bought the materials. How do I leave an air gap and stop the rockwool falling on the cladding at some otherwise?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Just stick in 70mm celotex, the rest is a waste of time .

Thanks for responding. I might have done in hindsight, but as mentioned I already have the materials now and cannot afford to just swap to 70mm celotex. I just needed to know if it would work without causing damage to shed?

So not having the airgap goes against everything I have read in relation to trapping moisture and the wood rotting?

If as you suggest and have no air gap at all, I could double up on the 15mm celotex along with the rockwool. Just trying to work with what I have really.
Cheers

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back