Plastering soundproofed ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When soundproofing our ceiling we left a 5mm gap between the plasterboard and wall. We filled the gap with acoustic sealant. We want to plaster the ceiling. Can we take the plaster to the walls or do we need to leave a gap here also to stop sound transmitting through the walls to the ceiling via the plaster?
Any help would be apppreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can't really help you much here on the soundproofing issue, but i don't think the 5mm gap would make that much difference, and as you said, you've filled the gap up with an acoustic sealant anyway. I'd just go ahead and plaster the ceiling. Are you going to plaster the walls too?? if you are, you would need tape all around the wall/ceiling line anyway.

Sponsored Links
When soundproofing our ceiling we left a 5mm gap between the plasterboard and wall. We filled the gap with acoustic sealant. We want to plaster the ceiling. Can we take the plaster to the walls or do we need to leave a gap here also to stop sound transmitting through the walls to the ceiling via the plaster?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
I want to learn too. :confused: I think you are right to worry about bridging the isolation gap affecting the noise insulation (I worked in engine/vehicle noise and vibration analysis for 15 years). Also, rigid plaster over a flexible gap spells CRACKS to me. The application brochure for Soundbloc plasterboard is not much help either.

to truly soundproof anything you need to isolate, the sound will always transmitt through the walls and ceiling until you break the path. sound will travel through anything that is connected to each other "flanking". whilst overboarding a ceiling will help a little, you ideally need to add another ceiling or walls with as little or nothing touching the original ceiling or wall. this will stop the sound flanking as it has no where to go as it hits "fresh air" but in the common house this may add up to 50mm lose in room size :cry: .
i agree with ajrobb plasting over flexible gaps will CRACK. Soundblock will help a little more the normal wallboard but if soundproofing is a major problem then isolate. i hope this makes sense. :D

another option thinking about it is to google "british Gypsum" pertend you are a builder and call the techincal department for good advice.

another option thinking about it is to google "British Gypsum" pretend you are a builder and call the technical department for good advice.
They provide both Soundbloc and resilient bars so surely they must have a Robust Detail solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back