Plasterboard preparation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been living in my new build home for a year now and want to start decorating, I was advised not to wallpaper or paint for a year to let the house dry out.

My first task is to wallpaper a feature wall, but I'm a little unsure of how I should prepare the surface. As I understand, the plasterboard has a paper surface and wallpapering directly onto this would cause problems should I wish to remove it at a later stage. However all the advise seems to assume you're working from a clean slate whereas my walls were painted by the builder before I moved in. What I really want to know is should I treat it as if the paint did not exist, it's a water based paint "to allow the wall to breath" and I would imagine the builders wouldn't have primed/sealed the plasterboard before hand (that would eat into profits). Alternatively can the paint be considered a primer/sealer? Should I paper straight over the paint? Should I just buy some sealer and cover the paint?

Any advise would be appreciated
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can paper straight over it, but if funds allow, buy a tin of Zinsser Gardz.

I assume it is painted with Emulsion at the moment, just size the wall according to the instructions on the wallpaper paste and the hang the paper the next day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back