plasterboard requirements for shower/WC room, Aqua board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Work progressing nicely with my integral garage conversion. Regarding my Shower/wc area (about 90cm x 240cm) overall size. I intend to tile the shower area, however the rest of the room will be plastered and painted (that's the plan), should I use the cement based plasterbaord (Aqua panels - wickes) throughout the whole area or just for the shower area? It won't be the main shower in the house, only occasional use. I'm wondering if the aqau board is worth it at all, surely if the tilings good no water will get through the grout etc? What are the pros-cons?
thanks all.
KS

Sponsored Links
I have always used half inch marine ply on the walls of showers and siliconed the joints and primed it before tiling. Don't "prime" it with unibond as it it water based and the tile adhesive can break down the unibond and the tiles may come off later. I have never used aqua -panels so I can't comment on them, what ever you use silicon around the joints and where the boards meet the shower-base before tiling. And use a good silicon (Dow- Corning) is the one we always use. (They make the silicon implants for womens boobies ) so they must be good :LOL:

I always use Aquapanel in the immediate shower area & around baths but tanking is equally acceptable but I would still use moisture resistant plasterboard underneath. I don’t think it’s worth skimping or taking chances at this stage, getting it right doesn’t cost an awful lot more in terms of materials & the last thing you want is problems once it’s all tiled out & finished. The thing to remember about waterproof grout/tile cement is it’s waterproof in the sense that it won’t (shouldn’t!) dissolve & break down under prolonged use in a wet area; it's not, however, completely impervious to water & if you don’t have a suitable substrate, damp will still get through it & any small cracks that appear, eventually dissolving the plasterboard behind!

Sponsored Links
In my 2 most recent bathroom i used moisture resistant plasterboard, moisture resistant flooring. To waterproof the shower areas i used Mermaid wetwalls bought online on the first bathroom(expensive nut what a finish) and then Travis Perkins supplied wet walls in the 2nd bathroom(cheaper but still a good finish). I find it to be a much neater finish than tiling and their is zero maintenance. I used to tile before but no more!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back