Plaster boarding work sequence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'll be plasterbaord my integral garage conversion soon (about 300cm x 240cm).

1) What is the work sequence for putting up the plasterboard, ceiling first then walls?

2) Should I go for the largest poss plasterboard size 2400x1200? or 1800x900? What thickness 9.5 or 12mm? Most likely will get it delivered. Less taping with larger boards.

3) Any recommendation on screw fixing, any plasterboard non rust screw ok?

..aftet this I'll get the pro's in for plastering.. :p

thanks all!
KS

Sponsored Links
I normally do the walls first and then the ceiling. I use 2400/1200/12.5mm duplex vapourlock(reflective surface on the back). I also use black 36mm drywall screws and plenty of them. My mate swears by the gun with the automatic feed but i don't mind 1 at a timing them. Make sure you get a mate to help with the roof as doing 2400/1200 ceiling sheets on your own is a pure pig. Make sure you get your dwangs in the right position. I learned this after being a wee bit off on the first job i did at my house with plasterboard.

Make sure you get your dwangs in the right position.

..what do you mean by dwangs..? excuse my ignorance..

re the silver backed stuff, I'll check this out, I don't think its in the big DIY stores. My last house (80's) used this struff for ceilings, but my new place (,mid 80's has standard stuff on the ceilings, very poor in my opinion)
I'll use this on the ceilings if I can get it easily..

"Dwangs" is another name for noggins, the cross pieces of timber used between the posts to strengthen a stud wall..... I think it is much easier to board the ceiling first, and then fit the wall boards to suit.... but that's me. ;)

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
yeah got plenty of noggins in my new partition walling for the shower/wc area.. ta :LOL:
KS

Do the ceilings first, with 1/2" boards. Check whether you need "fire check", if so they are a bit heavier and need a few more runs with the Stanley to cut them. Have an helper with you to put the boards up, make yourself a couple of "Cripples" you measure from floor to ceiling joists and add 1" and make a tee-piece out of 2x1"and a cross brace on them. then use them to hold the boards up when you have got them in position. Go across the joists and stagger the joints, nail or screw whatever suits you...Make sure you put pencil marks on the wall so you know where the joists are, when you have the boards up line thru the joists and draw a pencil line or a chalk line so you know where to screw or nail....Good Luck...

It's all covered above; only comment I would add is use screws ever time!

Make sure you get your dwangs in the right position.

..what do you mean by dwangs..? excuse my ignorance..

re the silver backed stuff, I'll check this out, I don't think its in the big DIY stores. My last house (80's) used this struff for ceilings, but my new place (,mid 80's has standard stuff on the ceilings, very poor in my opinion)
I'll use this on the ceilings if I can get it easily..

I do not darken the doorstep of diy stores, i am screwfix direct for most stuff or Travis perkins or similar for all others(big stuff). Once you go in billybigballs and negotiate a decent discount at the trade yards you will never look back. I also use the net all the time especially for big bathroom stuff. Even a trade place like willie wilsons, plumb center etc cannot compete with net prices and in some cases they still try and rip you off. Free your pounds, shop around(online poet) :D

i will be at the same stage soon on my extension,
when puting the battens in the walls(at 1200 centres ) should i be puting one down the middle(600ctrs)

I do not darken the doorstep of diy stores, i am screwfix direct for most stuff or Travis perkins or similar for all others(big stuff). Once you go in billybigballs and negotiate a decent discount at the trade yards you will never look back. I also use the net all the time especially for big bathroom stuff. Even a trade place like willie wilsons, plumb center etc cannot compete with net prices and in some cases they still try and rip you off. Free your pounds, shop around(online poet) :D

Not sure how relevant all this is to the OP but there is nothing wrong with DIY sheds for certain things; B&Q trade centres are the only ones really competing & I get a lot of stuff from them when I can't wait or make up a minimum internet order to get free delivery; their tandard lining board & all their plaster products are cheap, in date & well stored! Travis P are far away the best of the ill gotten bunch of national BM’s but they all s*ck on price, even with up to 60% discount they give you at the drop of a hat; may be different if you’re a £10k a month developer on account though! Plumb centre I absolutely hate, our local is staffed by sad g*ts out of the ark & their attitude stinks if your not their regular daily “matey”; & they are very expensive off the street! Big bathroom stuff is difficult to beat on line although I’ve struck lucky with Bathstore for something a bit special when they have a deal on. Screwfix I like & use for many things; they are still generally competitive & you generally get delivered next day if you order before 12:00, which can be really handy. But they are now fairly well established & their prices on a lot of things nowadays has crept up & you can certainly do better + they don’t always have all the relevant stuff if your trying to order everything for a particular job. There are numerous others I use depending on what I need but they are all on line &, I agree, you can save a fortune!
;)

I think B&Q have gone dear on plaster and boards i went in for 2 8*4 plasterboards and a bag of multi finish and a skim bead for a small job, and it was around £18.99 and i thought that was dear. I normaly go to http://www.selcobw.com/ but was passin B&Q so i thought id pop in :eek: :eek:
straight to selco in the mornin £13.77 a difference of £5.22, that is a massive difference for a small job and a few bits.

i will be at the same stage soon on my extension,
when puting the battens in the walls(at 1200 centres ) should i be puting one down the middle(600ctrs)

All my internal framing is set at 600 vertical centres and i then put in a couple of horizontals staggered around the 1200 mark.

thanks all!
On the subject of diy stores, I find it's all the little sundaries etc that carry heavy cost. I now get my nails, screws etc from the market (2inch pozi screw 50pcs = £1), no nails 99p a tube (I'm using this on the stud work in addition to screws/nails). masks = £1, even small tools that seem to do the job for me are reasonable. Wilko for other tools, poundstretcher were doing some good spirit levels some time back.
When it comes to bigger stuff then yes some DIY stores are cheaper than the local smaller outlet. I bought the toilet-2-go today for £69 which is quite reasonable I thought.. Just need to plumb it all in now..
KS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back