Replacing plasterboard and boarding to existing skim coat and joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Everyone,

So I have skimmed plasterboard before and can do that pretty well.

But I had a partition put up and that was boarded and skimmed. I have had to rip a section out this weekend as I wanted to lay some pipework into the wall.

As you can see from the attached picture I just ripped off pretty much the whole plasterboard piece, so I could work cleanly.

There is also the channel going up I am going to need to patch back as well.

Now my questions are:

I can screw in the new 12mm board but obviously, the current skim coat means the joints arent, and I won't be able to just tape it. Now from what I have read in these posts on the world wide interwebs and I get the impression I can:

I can trim the current skim coat down to the plasterboard around the joint, then tape using some scrim tape as the boards will be levels, PVA the joint and then skim up to it and I should be good?

I did read that instead of doing that I could use some quality filler, to fill the joining gap and create a bit of a slope to the current skim coat and then skim the board and its be level, but I am not sure about that IMO.

For the channel, I am going to straighten it out first and then I could do a similar kind of thing as above, or so what all the videos online show and get a section of plasterboard in behind it and use some wood to screw it in place and then using some kind of bonding to get it about 2-3mm from the current skim depth and then skim over it

Then I have seen this video:

What they do is they put some cardboard shims in to bring the plasterboard level pretty much with the current plaster around it? Do you still have the issue of the joins? Would you tape over both and then skim over the whole wall to hide the tape and make it level, or what they fill in the gap and then just skim that section? Or is that whole video a bad idea?

I appreciate any advice you can give!

Cheers!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-08-14 at 11.08.23.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-08-14 at 11.08.23.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 70
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-08-14 at 11.05.27.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-08-14 at 11.05.27.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 72
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back