plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
want to put up some new plasterboard on the ceiling in the bathroom whats the best way to seal the plasterboard against damp/condensation
without having it plastered?

Sponsored Links
i think you can buy some special damp resistant plasterboard. Silver lined with something.

Yes, that is called "vapour check" plasterboard. I am not sure if this is its intended purpose though.

You don't need to use it though. If you think about it, artex is not water-resistant but is used to cover bathroom ceilings. Just so long as you paint the plaster/artex with a bathroom paint then you should be fine with normal plasterboard. :D

Nothing to stop you using Unibond with part water to seal it.

Sponsored Links
so looks like i can get away with sealing the plasterboard and then painting with the bathrooom type paint(not keen on artex).
pva is this any good or a special sealer to accept paint?

Sorry, but why don't you want to plaster it?

Plasterboard, unplastered on a bathroom/toilet ceiling is going to look awful! I know, we have a toilet block where, to cut corners, the ceiling is unplastered, seams visible, screws visible, just painted over.

Works, but it looks dreadful!

will the bathroom paint stick to pva after it has dried?
bit scared when it comes to plastering''''
but not worried when it comes to patching a wall after tile removal etc.

punchjoshua said:
will the bathroom paint stick to pva after it has dried?
bit scared when it comes to plastering''''
but not worried when it comes to patching a wall after tile removal etc.
Should stick, yes.

Ahh, know the feeling. Always thought that plastering a ceiling was beyond me too. I could skim plasterboard on a wall, and if I say so myself, I've got quite good at it. Let's face it, work let me do the majority of plastering these days, so they must be quite happy with my work.

I did vertical walls, then moved on to sloping ceilings. The key is in the mix. Always use fresh plaster from a builders merchants is best, they have a quick turn over. Start off with your water, adding the plaster a shovel at a time, stirring all the time, until a good slurry is produced. You will need to practise... I did, even with a retired builder giving my direction....

Get a thin skim on the board, so that the board is covered, thinly, but thick enough, and fairly smooth, then walk away. Let it go off a little, then come back and with a brush and bucket of water, or a pint sprayer, and a clean trowel, go over it again, using the water to allow you to polish the plaster, it does take time and practise, but it can be done.

One time, I was plastering the sloping ceiling in a classroom and near me there was a hole in the ceiling, the lath showing though. Although I "can't plaster ceilings" I had a trowelful left, and it was stiff enough for me to try to do the bit of the ceiling. I slapped it up and into the lath, and it stayed there! I could do ceilings!

Since then, I've build a new ceiling in my kitchen, bathroom and toilet, put new ceilings up at school and in cupboards at my new house. The key is, as the professionals will re-iterate, practise!

Good luck!

My one (and only) attempt at doing a ceiling was a bit of a disaster. I got it to stick OK but left it too long before smoothing it; the fact it was midsummer and 80 degrees didn't help. Anyone know what it's like to sand down an entire ceiling? I do. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Studders said:
Anyone know what it's like to sand down an entire ceiling? I do. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Nope, but I know what it is like to then call in a professional plasterer and pay him £140 to skim the ceiling over what I did! Totally worth it, in my opinion, got a perfectly flat ceiling.

I don't think I would ever attempt to sand down such a large area, it's just asking for respiratory complaints.

See Crying in frustration in DIY disasters for a good discussion about this. I personally found it beyond me, but then that's me and this is you. I would say though that leaving it as plasterboard will look awful though.

AdamW said:
Studders said:
Anyone know what it's like to sand down an entire ceiling? I do. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Nope, but I know what it is like to then call in a professional plasterer and pay him £140 to skim the ceiling over what I did! Totally worth it, in my opinion, got a perfectly flat ceiling.

I don't think I would ever attempt to sand down such a large area, it's just asking for respiratory complaints.

It was a case of biting off more than I could chew and I was being paid for it, which made it even worse. None of us like to look like plonkers, even if we are for taking on something a bit beyond us. I can do walls to a reasonable standard so I thought I'd 'have a go' :oops:
Any how I did manage to get the ceiling looking ok, I was using a dust extractor so it wasn't too bad; not something I'll ever agree to do again though. Lesson well and truly learnt. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back