insulating a single brick bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time on thE Forum.

My daughter has a bathroom with 3 single external walls and its freezing and or damp. I want to batten, insulate and plasterboard over the ceiling and walls. I think its important to leave an air gap on the ceiling to avoid damp, though is is necessary on the walls? I was going to use general insulation slab panels and standard plasterboard.

Has anyone any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
Shouldnt think so mate,suppose its just the same as getting cavity wall insulation, but 'if' theres damp in the room id get that sorted first as the insulation and battons may act as a medium for the moisture to travel along to your newly boarded and skimmed walls

the damp may just be caused by warm air condensing on the cold walls i would insulate as you planned but also fit a decent extractor as well.

It seems like you will need to use a vapour check [foil backed] plasterboard to prevent moisture getting through the plasterboard and condensing on the cold walls.

If you are overboarding a ceiling then you do not want to leave any air gaps as this will allow condensation with the void

What do you mean by standard insulation - fibreglass? If so you will need to batten out the walls.

Might be better to use a thermal plasterboard or some more efficient Celotex/Kingspan insulation board (in which case you wont need vapour check plasterboard

If the walls are letting any moisture into the room, then you will need to fit a barrier first before doing the dry lining

Sponsored Links
I can now advise that the use of Thermalite, in conjunction with the other activity has soved the problem of condensation. Once dry the paint has a slightly rough texture to it, though this is not a problem. The walls are now condensation free and I would be happy to recomend its use in similarly circumstances elewhere.
and has
Thanks for all the positive responses. I've now fitted the new ceiling and installed an extractor fan. I've increased the size and output of the radiator.
I'm about to try an additive to emulsion paint which it is claimed reduces condensation (Themalate). I'll post a reply when I know if it works or not. If it doesn't I'll have to build the insulated wall and will use foil backed boards. Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back