single skin out kitchen insualtion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, Our 1900ish house had the kitchen extended into the old coal house (according to the survey) many many years ago. That part of the kitchen only has a single skin of bricks on the outside with an air brick and on the inside a timber stud wall with some sort of plasterboard. It gets cold in there! The kitchen is quite nice and done so I would like to avoid ripping it out to put in any insulation. Are there any other options, e.g. take out a brick and throw in loose fill insulation? Cut out plasterboard sections and shove rockwool in and then make good? Any advice would be great. Is the air brick needed? Would installing installation lead to damp problems from the single skin wall? Thanks

Sponsored Links
The extension roof will be loosing more of your heat, is it flat and uninsulated?

it is sloped but i assume has no insulation in it. The kitchen does need a skim on the ceiling and the plaster recommended putting insulated plaster board on there which I agreed would make sense. You are probably right, much of the heat is probably going that way. I might see what difference that makes to the heat before messing with the walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back