Plasterboarding advice - protruding corners / dry lining.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our 1930's house has solid brick walls and rather lumpy, bumpy plaster on the inside. As we've worked around the house decorating, we've tended to spend an awful lot of time makin gthe plaster good before lining papering the walls and painting. The end result is very good but it is jolly time consiming.

Now we're looking at decorating the lounge which, is currently wallpapered with woodchip paper that seems pretty impossible to remove.

I've been thinking about getting some thin sheets of 8ft x 4ft plasterboard and simply fixing it over the woodchip with panel adhesive then using some supa fill type filler in the joints.

This worked beautifully on one bedroom wall where the wall that was plasterboarded was between another wall and chimney breast (in a wide alcove)

However, in the lounge I'll have protruding corners to deal with - What is the best/propper way to create a nice crisp edge on corners? I've seen plasterers fit a 90 degree expanded metal piece on such an edge before skimming, but what do they do when not skimming?

Sponsored Links
you can always fix a timber batten to one side of the right angle and fill it out so the batten finish gives you a nice straight line to work to.

Hi Goochie,
If you are going to plasterboard the walls in your lounge, you would have to tape and fill the joints where one sheet of p/board butts to another. When you come to "external corners" (protruding corners as you call them), you will need to tape them with "corner tape". This is a paper tape that has 2 strips of metal stuck to it and it is designed to be bedded onto "external corners". It comes in a box on a 30mtr roll and you cut it with snips to the desired length, and after putting a bed of joint filler on both sides of the corner from top to bottom,you then bed the tape into the filler and run a trowel or wide scraper over the tape to bed it in and also to remove any excess filler. After it has set, you would go over it again a couple of times with a readymix finish, and when this has dried out properly, sand it down. There is also a "thin coat bead" which can be fixed down the corners, but these would need to covered over with a deeper coat and over a wider area to feather them out. None of this is easy if you have never done it before, but it will give you a rough idea and i'm sure you'll know someone who could help you out.

Roughcaster.

Thanks, Roughcaster - sounds like you've done it before!

I've already discovered taper edge board is not as easily available as standard board so tracking down the tape will be the next challenge.

Sponsored Links
You should have no difficulty getting either of these products from your local "builder merchants". Most if not all 8x4 sheets of plasterboard whether 9mm thick or 12mm will have tapered edges. A box of corner tape for plasterboard corners should also be readily available from the same source.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back