Hardwall meets plasterboard on external corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Long time reader, first time post..

I have recently dot and dabbed a chimney breast wall with plasterboard. When pulling out the old fireplace surround it pulled off some plaster on the corners and on the perpendicular walls and has gone back to brick.

I have levelled the plasterboard with the level of plaster on the side walls (i will skim theses walls and the main chimney breast wall) but in places there is a lip where the old plaster has come off.

Will it be ok to use hardwall in there and level it up with the edge of the plasterboard?

Forgive me for asking a stupid question but from my understanding hardwall won't bond to plasterboard so should I expect to see cracking on the corners or will the bead hold it all together?

I have thought about using bonding but won't I have to PVA the bricks?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Wherever there is a lip it should be cut back until level then you can PVA the edges then fill with bonding then tape the corners with scrim to minimise cracking then skim the whole lot , what ever you do don't leave the lip

Thanks for the help, i would plaster level up to the board so there would be no lip.

Would you not recommend using hardwall?

I must have read your post wrong I was advising on internal corners sorry about that, I was also thinking of a lip being caused / left by the old plaster which is normally cut back, is the fire place going to be used? Post some pics up

Sponsored Links
As above, photos needed.

Dicky234, while "long time reading" I hope that you've read up on sweeping & ventilating flues.
I'm suspicious of D&D anywhere, and on a c/breast why bother? It can be rendered and skimmed in no time at all, and you as a DIY'er have more control over the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back